Fiberglass is used in mattresses due to its thermal barrier ability. This high-tech layer protects your mattress from bustling into the fire and keeps you safe. The fiberglass mattresses are available at low prices which is the best option for budget shoppers. This layer is present under the top cover of the bed. But sometimes this cutting-edge technology will create many problems which will develop the hustle circumstances. If the cover is removed and the particles of fiberglass leak out, it will significantly affect your body.
If you are reading this article, it means that you are facing this problem and want a perfect solution to stop it. You can easily handle this ridiculous situation with proper management. If you want to know the answer to your questions then you are at the right place. So, keep reading this article to clear your complications.
What is fiberglass?
If your mattress has fiberglass then you should have a little bit of information about it. Basically, fiberglass is a widely used material in industrial applications due to its durability and flexibility properties. Both resins and glass fiber are used to design a fiber-reinforced plastic. Different types of resins are added to glass fiber to make the product brawny and sturdy. Fiberglass exists in different types and forms which are alkali glass, alkali-resistance glass, electrical glass, and structural glass.
How fiberglass is harmful to our health?
When your body is in direct contact with fiberglass, you feel some irritations in your eyes, nose, throat, and skin which cause soreness in the nose and throat. If you inhaled the fiberglass, it can irritate or damage your lungs. Asthma and bronchitis can be irritating.
The reason is that it is made with highly fine fibers of glass which can damage the outer layer of your skin. It is also refined with formaldehyde which is an extremely harmful and toxic chemical for humans.
How to treat your skin area which is affected by fiberglass?
Firstly, thoroughly wipe the exposed area with a wet cloth, after that washed the effective area with soap and water. You can also try emollient creams, such as Eucerin or E45, or topical corticosteroids on your skin.
According to the Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH), the side effects of fiberglass do not remain overstayed on your body. You can easily get rid of these side effects.
Fiberglass in mattress
Your soft and comfy memory foam mattress is actually high. Fiberglass is not used as the top cover of the mattress due to its side effects. If your mattress has fiberglass as its interior stuff, then there is a label of XX% glass fiber and “Do not remove the cover” on your mattress. If you remove the cover, then the fiberglass starts to release.
Fiberglass is mostly used in Nectar, Ashley, and Zinus mattresses. Under the cover of the mattress, a fiberglass layer is present for some safety precautions. It creates a protective layer that prevents the mattress from flame. Here, fiberglass act as a cheap thermal barrier that keeps the flame away from your mattress. The protracted quilt on the top of the mattress reduces the risk of releasing fiberglass.
How to clean Fiberglass from the Mattress – Easy Steps to Follow
If you have a fiberglass mattress and the fiberglass particles start to leak from your mattress, then, what can you do? Obviously, you want to get rid of this ridiculous problem. Here, you should follow these certain steps which help you to recover your mattress.
Safety precautions before cleaning
- Protect yourself: First of all, protect your body properly with safety instruments because health is your first priority. You must wear gloves on your hand to avoid touching fiberglass and protect your skin from any type of rashes, or spectacles on your eyes. If you have some respiratory sickness, then we suggest you use a protective suit with a respirator to prevent you from inhaling fiberglass dust.
- Switch off the conditioners: Secondly, you must look out that all the conditioners, fans, heaters, or any instrument which spread the fiberglass in your whole room must be a turn-off. Because it allows the particles of the fiberglass diffuse in the air of the room which expand in all the appliances of the room.
Cover the mattress
Rebuild the leakage point:
- Firstly, you determine the place on the mattress from where the particles of fiberglass are discharged. When you are able to know about the point where fiberglass is exposed, you can easily handle this problem. Now, carefully repair the opening area of the mattress to stop the leakage of fiberglass.
- After patching the leakage area, properly clean the remaining fiberglass present on the mattress. Now, you use zipper protective mattress (easily buy online) covers to avert further trickling of fiberglass.
Suggestions for cleaning purposes
Now, it’s time to clean it thoroughly and stops it to spread in your sweet room. We are here to recommend you some useful suggestions which will surely help you greatly.
- Lint roller: It is a device that rotates over a surface, collecting lint and other light debris. You can use it on the mattress to collect the entire remaining fiberglass.
- Vacuum cleaner: The best way to remove fiberglass is to use a vacuum cleaner with a HEPA filter. You can use it on the fiberglass-releasing area and suck out all the fiberglass particles present in it. After that, clean this area with a wet cloth.
- Apple vinegar Solution: You can easily use it without any type of risk because it can’t damage your fabric like other harmful chemicals. To make this solution, you can add the vinegar and water in the same quantity and apply this mixture to the product for a few minutes. After that, clean this area thoroughly with a wet cloth.
How to Get Rid of Fiberglass From Mattress – FAQs
As we know that fiberglass made the product strong and cheaper. But it also has side effects on your body. If you have a fiberglass mattress then you may face all these problems that we mention in this article. Now, you are able to solve all the complications. After following the instructions you can easily handle the situation.