Box springs have been a popular bedding houses accessory for decades, providing a sturdy foundation for mattresses in different styles and helping to extend their lifespan.
However, as platform beds have grown in popularity, many people are wondering whether box springs are necessary or even beneficial on a platform bed. Ultimately, whether or not you choose to use a box spring on your platform bed is a matter of personal preference for the bedroom. Some people prefer the added support and cushioning that a box spring provides, while others prefer the minimalistic look of a platform bed without a box spring.
Some argue that box springs can add unnecessary height to the bed and detract from the sleek, modern look of a platform bed, while others believe that they provide extra support and cushioning for the mattress. What do you think? Do you prefer box springs or traditional ones? Can you put a box spring on the floor? Let’s discuss it!
Platform Bed Vs Box Spring
Here we are going to explain platform beds vs box springs with professionals. a box spring is a type of bedding accessory that provides support and cushioning for the mattress. It is a wooden profile bed frame with springs or coils that compress when weight is applied to them. Box springs were originally designed to elevate mattresses off the ground and provide additional support and comfort.
A platform bed is a type of bed that features a raised platform or slatted base to support the mattress, rather than a traditional box spring. The platform may be made of wood, metal, or other materials, and it may have legs or sit directly on the floor. Platform beds are known for their sleek and modern design, and they are often used in contemporary and minimalist bedrooms.
When it comes to choosing between a platform bed and a box spring, Platform beds offer a modern and minimalist look. However, it’s important to note that not all mattresses are compatible with platform beds or box springs, so it’s important to check with the manufacturer’s recommendations before making a purchase
There are several different types of platform beds, including:
- Standard Platform Bed: This is the most common type of platform bed, featuring a flat platform that supports the mattress. It may have a low profile or tall headboard and may be made of wood, metal, or upholstered materials.
- Storage Platform Bed: This type of platform bed features built-in storage drawers or compartments underneath the platform. This is a great option for those who need extra storage space in their bedroom.
- Low Profile Platform Bed: As the name suggests, this type of platform bed has a low profile and sits close to the ground. It may have a minimalist design and is often used in modern or Japanese-style bedrooms.
- Floating Platform Bed: This type of platform bed appears to be “floating” above the ground, as it is supported by a hidden frame or suspension system. It can give the illusion of more space in a small room and is often used in contemporary bedrooms.
- Upholstered Platform Bed: This type of platform bed has a platform that is covered in fabric or leather. It may have a padded headboard and a plush feel, making it a comfortable and stylish option for a modern bedroom.
What to put under the mattress on the Platform bed?
Many sleep experts and interior designers recommend against using a box spring on a platform bed. Box springs are typically designed to work in conjunction with a traditional bed frame, and using one on a platform bed can add unnecessary height and potentially make the bed unstable.
Platform beds are designed to support the mattress directly, without the need for a box spring for best results you have to know how to dry a mattress. This provides a lower profile and a more modern look, while still offering excellent support for the mattress. Additionally, using a platform bed without a box spring can help to extend the life of your mattress, as it eliminates the additional wear and tear that can occur from using a box spring.
If you prefer the look of a taller bed or want to add additional support to your mattress, there are other options available. For example, you can use a bunkie board or a low-profile foundation instead of a box spring. These options provide additional support without adding unnecessary height to the bed.
Overall, while some people may choose to use a box spring on a platform bed, it is generally not recommended by sleep experts and designers. Instead, consider using a platform bed as intended, without a box spring, for the best support and longevity of your mattress.
Best Mattresses for a Platform Bed
Several types of mattresses are well-suited for use with a platform bed. Here are some of the best options for mattresses to make your choice best you have to know the questions to ask when buying a mattress.
- Memory Foam Mattresses
Memory foam mattresses are a popular choice for platform beds as they provide excellent support and pressure relief. There are different types of memory foam that also conform to the shape of your body, which can help to alleviate pain and improve sleep quality.
- Latex Mattresses
Latex mattresses are another great option for platform beds as they are durable, responsive, and provide excellent support. They are also hypoallergenic and resistant to dust mites, making them a great choice for people with allergies.
- Hybrid Mattresses
Hybrid mattresses are a combination of foam and innerspring coils, providing the benefits of both types of mattresses. They offer excellent support and pressure relief and are also durable and long-lasting.
- Innerspring Mattresses
Innerspring mattresses are a traditional option that can work well with a platform bed. They provide good support and can be a more affordable option compared to memory foam or latex mattresses.
- Airbed Mattresses
Airbed mattresses are adjustable and can be customized to your desired level of firmness. They are a good option for couples who have different firmness preferences, as each side of the mattress can be adjusted separately.
When choosing a mattress for your platform bed, it is important to consider your individual needs and preferences. Consider facts about mattresses such as firmness level, materials, and durability to ensure that you choose the best mattress for your sleep needs.
How to cover the box spring on the platform bed?
Covering a box spring on a platform bed is a simple process and can be done with a few basic materials. You can use the mattress and if you don’t need it, you can easily know how to donate a mattress. Here are the steps to cover a box spring on a platform bed:
- Measure the dimensions of your box spring to determine how much fabric you will need.
- Choose a fabric that complements your bedding and matches your decor. Cotton, linen, and polyester are all popular options.
- Cut the fabric to size, leaving enough extra fabric to wrap around the edges of the box spring.
- Lay the fabric flat on the ground and place the box spring on top.
- Starting at one end, pull the fabric tightly over the box spring and staple it to the underside of the box spring. Continue pulling the fabric tightly and stapling it to the box spring, making sure to smooth out any wrinkles or bubbles as you go.
- Once you have stapled the fabric around the box spring, trim any excess fabric.
- If desired, you can add a bed skirt or decorative trim to cover the edges of the box spring and create a more finished look.
Benefits of Platform Bed
here are several benefits to choosing a platform bed, including:
Minimalistic Design: Platform beds are known for their sleek and modern design, making them a great choice for contemporary and minimalist bedrooms.
No Box Spring Required: Platform beds feature a solid platform or slatted base that supports the mattress, eliminating the need for a traditional box spring. This can save you money and reduce the overall height of your bed.
Better Support: Platform beds provide a sturdy and level foundation for the mattress, which can improve the overall support and comfort of your bed. Plus, the slatted base allows for increased airflow, which can help to prevent mold and mildew from developing on your mattress by knowing how much a mattress weighs.
Increased Storage Space: Many platform beds come with built-in storage drawers or compartments underneath the platform. This can be a great option for those who need extra storage space in their bedroom.
Versatility: Platform beds are available in a wide range of styles, materials, and sizes, making them a versatile choice for any bedroom.
Durability: Platform beds are often made of high-quality materials, such as solid wood or metal, which can increase their durability and lifespan.
Overall, a platform bed can be a stylish and practical choice for anyone looking for a modern and comfortable sleeping solution.
Platform bed disadvantages
Here are some common disadvantages of platform beds in short:
- May not offer enough storage space: Platform beds generally have a low profile and do not have space underneath for storage.
- May require specific bedding: Due to the low profile of platform beds, traditional bedding sets may not fit properly. This can require the purchase of specialized bedding designed for use with platform beds.
- May not provide enough ventilation: If the platform bed is flush with the ground, it may not provide enough ventilation for the mattress and you must know how to return a mattress. which can lead to issues with mold or mildew.
- May not be suitable for heavier individuals: Platform beds are designed to support the mattress directly, which can make them less suitable for heavier individuals who may require additional support from a box spring or foundation.
Can You Put a Box Spring On A Platform Bed – FAQs
In conclusion, platform beds can be a great option for those looking for a modern box spring basis, minimalistic design, and excellent support for their mattress. However, they may not be suitable for everyone, particularly those who require additional storage space or support. From personal experience, I’ll prefer light sleepers to use platform beds with box springs and mattresses.
If you are considering a platform bed, it’s important to choose a high-quality mattress that is well-suited for use with a platform bed and to consider any potential drawbacks such as limited style options or the need for specialized bedding. So be sure to do your research and choose a bed that meets your specific requirements.